Saturday, June 23, 2012

Learning and Teaching




June 22 Btw, Happy birthday to my American sister! Its been really busy – I feel way behind with the material in language class. The first couple of days, I learned tons of words but my pace of comprehension seems like it has slowed down. Oh yeah, and we've been working on doing our own teaching too. This was the first day that we held our own language classes of teaching english. I co-taught with one other person and it went fairly well. Somehow, the lesson plan was close to the level of our students. They have knew some english from school but I think we gave them a couple new vocabulary words. Its summertime, so there weren't that many students but it was a good way to ease us into teaching for the fall.

I talked to a few people in my soum for various assignments and one guy actually remembers my name. Everyone is very friendly when I try to talk to them – it reminds me of times that I met people in america that did not know English very well. If you are reading this, make a point to be patient with those that don't know english very well because its difficult procces to work with an entirely new language.   


5 comments:

  1. Congrats to your travel to Mongolia. We'll be reading your updates often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, I was wondering where the students come from when pictures of Mongolia look void of villages? And I think it is wonderful how you have such a sensitivity to the difficulty of second language learning due to your first-hand experience. That will be an invaluable aspect of your teaching. So glad you are enjoying life there! -Rita Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the question rita, many villages are pretty small but most have their own school. Where I am at, there's about 2,000 people living here. There is a high literacy level though, so pretty much everyone attends. Many people live in the countryside during the summer, but they live in a city or village during schooltime.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the birthday shout-out!! I'm so happy to see your new posts, and am glad you're learning how to cook some of their food. Maybe you can make us some authentic Mongolian food when you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete