Saturday, September 15, 2012

Things to check off my phobia list


September 15th

You probably know this already, but I am naturally an introvert. I don't like crowds of people, and don't talk very much at all when I meet someone for the first time. Beneath the surface I have many anxieties, but since I have come to Mongolia I have gone through a lot. Looking back, I have less reasons to be afraid of anything. For example, I have already experienced -


trying to get to know my sixty-some fellow M23's during orientation days
meeting my Mongolian parents for the first time. The only word that I new then was “hello”
going hiking alone
eating everything served to me (including the popular sheep intestines)
constantly meeting new people
tasting vodka
singing a solo in Mongolian
getting harassed by drunk people
supervising a group of junior high kids that don't speak English
giving a speech at my school in Mongolian
getting lost at night with a dull flashlight
teaching an English class by myself
surviving in the Gobi desert

Some of those things I never want to experience again, but some of the fears that I have had are not there anymore. There is a certain part of me that likes to overcome obstacles – if I see a mountain, I want to climb it. Hopefully that quality will help me in my quest to be a more sociable person.




No comments:

Post a Comment