Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Reflections

This last post is not really about Mongolia, but personal thoughts. I started reading a book written by a Peace Corps volunteer who was also in Mongolia titled, "When Things Get Dark." It gave me the eerie feeling of watching a movie that I myself was in. There is definitely a dark side to being in Mongolia and I am not immune to it completely. Some moments, I think back to being only one month removed from Mongolia and wonder to myself if all that I went through really happened or if it was just a dream. My language only allowed me to be a shadow of my real self. I definitely did exist, but that person that Mongolian people had interaction with was only like a imprint of me and I was probably like a dream even to them. The other side of the coin is that I feel like a ghost in America too. I visited the area where I grew up and it gave me the sense of time moving along but nothing really changing. I don't have a lack of language as an excuse, but I think there are very few people in there that know much about me here either. Life in Mongolia is in my past, and my life when I was living in America before is also in my past. So now I feel like my new identity is about to begin. I am moving to a new place, going to find a new job, and have a normal life for a while. I absolutely have no regrets about my Peace Corps adventure but I don't know if travelling is something I will ever want to do again. I am going to spend more time with some of my hobbies such as reading, watching movies, and making music. It will be the first time I will be completely on my own and not studying formal education, and I'm already 28 years old. I think it will be good to spend some time on developing myself instead of being driven by other forces for a change. Hopefully this sudden independence will bring me beyond anything previously instead of to a dead end.



1 comment:

  1. It was great to read your blog of your time in Mongolia.
    Please keep bloging about your journey in Colorado. Remember, to show Gods love where ever you go. Spread peace.

    ReplyDelete