Monday, May 27, 2013

the side that tourists don't see



The big difference from being a resident and a tourist is relationships. Its easy to see statues, nature and landmarks, but you can't really get to know people within a few weeks or a month. I've been invited over to many peoples houses for dinner and got to see what their family was like. Some of the people I occasionally visit actually start to treat me like family. I have some close friends in America and sometimes I visit their house. I specifically remember one time when I was away from home, and got invited over to a friends during Christmas. It meant a lot to me personally, and I've had the privilege of having those same feelings with my friends in Mongolia too. I have also been a part of many celebrations at school. There was recently a graduation ceremony (two weeks before school actually finishes?) and I got to go to one of their parties. Probably the most fun I've had is going to on road trips with a group of Mongolians.






Last month, I went with a group of adults that me and another American friend co-teach, and we went to a place that's translated "big place with rocks." Even though we are foreigners, they treated us like part of their group. We played games, ate a sheep (including the insides), sang together, and went hiking. There are many good people here.


1 comment: